The Government of the United Republic of Tanzania, in recognition of the role of Non-Governmental Organizations in development of Tanzania society, formulated the National Non Governmental Organizations Policy of 2001 with the aim of creating an enabling environment for NGOs in Tanzania;
One of the policy justifications was the need to enhance self regulation, Transparency and accountability of Non-Governmental Organizations and establish modalities for interaction between NGOs and the Government and between NGOs and other stakeholders.
The NGO ACT No. 24 of 2002 as amended in 2005 under the provisions of section 25 establishes the National Council of Non-Governmental Organizations to be a collective forum of NGOs for purpose of coordination and networking.
The National Council of NGOs is also responsible for facilitating self regulation of NGOs through development and overseeing the implementation of the NGOs Code of Conduct and regulations in promoting self regulatory.
Envisage a prosperous society where NGOs play an active role in the socio-economic development of the country.
Provide a coordinated workable mechanism for NGOs contribution to national development through capacity development, information sharing, networking, lobbying and advocacy, representation and promote self regulation of the NGO sector.
OBJECTIVES OF THE COUNCIL:
- Protecting the interest of NGOs;
- Networking and coalition building among NGOs;
- To be a unified voice of NGOs affairs;
- Regulate and coordinate NGOs conducts and other regulations;
- Capacity development for NGOs and other key stakeholders;
- Information collections, processing and dissemination;
- Linking creation between the NGO, Government and other stakeholders;
- Fostering NGOs adherence to the Act;
- Resource mobilization and equitable allocation to NGOs;
- Representation of NGOs in the national, sub-national and international levels;
- Dispute mediation and mitigation among NGOs and between NGOs and other actors;
- Fostering ethical conduct among NGOs;
- Publicizing the role of NGOs in national development;
- Creating awareness on the laws, policies and regulation pertaining to NGO wellbeing;
- Organizing NGO Forums.